Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Dentists

I just got my new private insurance card and I'm planning to use it to the fullest of its potential (until I have to start paying).

I have been having major tooth pain and have numerous problems with teeth, so I went (reluctantly) to the International Clinic. I'd been there before to see Dr. Najib and Dr. Ahmed (isn't it weird how they use first names here - as if they aren't professional enough to use their last names?). Dr. Ahmed was on his mobile phone the entire time. He didn't instill great confidence. When the tooth he repaired looked out of place ('It's sticking out'), he said, "The rest of your teeth are going in." Hmmm... I would prefer that all my teeth are uniform, but that's just me. Dr. Najib was okay and gentle, but.... But neither of them took full-mouth x-rays nor did they take the time to explain WTF was going on in my mouth. That's right - MY mouth. Just because dude is in there for 30 minutes isn't a given right for him to take over and not feel the need to explain.

Anyhoo, I ended up going to see Dr. Fadi Al Syriani, DDS, AFS, AFSA, Maxillo Facial Surgery (France), German Board of Implantology (DGZI). And yes, I use Dr. Al Syriani's full name as he is a full professional. I was VERY impressed. He took the time to read charts, to take full x-rays, to ask questions, and to explain. When I told him what a big chicken I am and would prefer to be under general anesthesia (need a lot of work), he recommended several hospitals (Al-Salam, Mowasat, Hadi). I really like the guy and after I get all my extensive stuff done, I'm definately going back to him for maintenance.

Oh, International Clinic also does BriteSmile which I love. Unfortunately, it is 180 KD. BriteSmile is laser whitening. I wish they would open the mall shops like they have in the States. I didn't even know that IC did it - I just happened to see a pamphlet in Dr. Al Syriani's office.

So, I bopped over to Al-Salam Hospital to see if I could get a consult with a dentist there for going under general. I've got an appointment today. They look very good. The reception areas were clean and the receptionists were professional (unlike most at IC).

Al-Salam does Zoom (Bleaching) for 75KD. I asked Dr. Al Syriani about it and he said it is like comparing a Hyundai to a Mercedes (BriteSmile). Since I've done BriteSmile and the results were really noticeable, I would prefer to have that; however, I would prefer not to spend 180KD, so I'm going to get it done in the States.

If Al-Salam can't put me under for dental work, then I'm going to have to go to the dreaded Mowasat. Fish Girl went there after her car accident and said Dr. Vikas was very good.

I need 2 root canals and at least 1 crown. My teeth in the back are tore up from the shoreup.

20 comments:

Mrs W said...

I've tried the laser whitening, it works but damn does it leave your teeth sensitive for the next 12hours! I could barely open my mouth cos my teeth were sensitive to air.

Ahmed said...

Or you can go to Maidan Dental Clinic, they also have the Brite Smile system , and its CHEAPER :) btw Both IC and Maidan Belong to the same mother company but they have different prices :) Maidan is in Hawally , Sabah Al-Salem , Sharq , Jahra , Fahaheel and Farwaniya

gabry said...

Try Balsam dental centre in salmiya. That is were the American army gets their speciality treatment done. It is the host nation clinic for the army. I recommend Dr TT for Root canal treatment. But no General Anaesthesia treatments.

Anonymous said...

I know how it feels to run around hospitals for dental and not taken care of properly..
I had a horrible experience with my root canal treatment. Went to 4 hospitals and none of them helped. Luckily I met Dr.Unnikrishnan in mowasat and finally got my tooth fixed. btw Dr.Vikas & Dr. Dalia ( both from mowasat) are good..Also Dr.Javed Parker from Canadian clinic where I did my ortho was very good.. These guys know what they are talking about and also understand what we tell them :) Good luck with your treatment....
vid

Anonymous said...

Alia clinic on Fahaheel road is talked very high as far as dentist work is concerned. Dr Latha... No personal experience though..

Anonymous said...

Honest, go to Balsam in Salmiya. It is a really good/clean clinic, and Dr Ouna (romanian Dr) is lovely. Last year, Dr Mark used to work there, but he has gone back to New Zealand. They do heaps of work there for US and British Army guys.

Desert Girl said...

I'm further limited by what is covered under my dental insurance. Unfortunately, Balsam is not covered.

Anonymous said...

HI Im just wondering how did it go with the general anesthesia @ salam? or did u go somewhere else..I got the same prob with my teeth and also a BIG CHICKEN about these things not to mention the pain ouchhhh..Did they fix all ur teeth all at the same time? thanks for ur time :)

q80_american_84 said...

HI Im just wondering how did it go with the general anesthesia @ salam? or did u go somewhere else..i got the same prob with my teeth and also a BIG CHICKEN about these things not to mention the pain ouchhhh..Did they fix all ur teeth all at the same time? thanks for ya time :)

Anonymous said...

Dr Javed Parker is one of the best orthodontists in kuwait... he fixed my teeth right up and knew exactly wathe was doing.. im sure he left to canadian clinic coz mowasat i found wasnt too professional... b

Desert Girl said...

Anonymous 8:53 - Ironic you should comment on Dr. Parker; I just had a consult with him last week at New Mowasat and I really liked him.

klkll said...

Can expatriates in kuwait get orthodontic surgery done in government hospitals like Al mubarak?? I am planning for consultation with mr parker for my orthodontic surgery. Hope everything works out, I am sure being a private hospital they are gonna charge me like crazy. Do I have another choice?

klkll said...

Can't expats get orthodontic surgery in al mubarak? I got 4 of my teeth extracted from mubarak and now I heard that they dont do surgery for expats! :( How much did mr javed parker charge you guys for surgery? I neeed it badly.

Anonymous said...

I have been searching for a good orthodontist in Kuwait for a while now. And honestly found none. However, after reading this, a couple of people recommended Dr Javad Parker in Canadian clinic. I tired googling Canadian clinic in Kuwait but couldnt get the address. Can someone please tell me where i can find Dr Javad Parker (the orthodontist) and if he is in Canadian Clinic, can i please get their number.

Much appreciated
~Ghadeer~

Desert Girl said...

Dr. Parker is at New Mowasat Hospital and he's excellent. :) I went to check into Invisilyn (sp?) braces and he was very direct and honest. I liked him.

Anonymous said...

Met Dr. Parker today at the Mowasat. Great! Also Carmela, who did the scaling. :)

Unknown said...

We moved to Kuwait in May of this year (2013) from the states and I have used your blog and recommendations for sooo many things...THANK YOU! My daughter has an upper pallet expander and I needed recommendations for an orthodontist. So once again I ended up on your blog and have already made an appt with Dr. Parker :)

Anonymous said...

I know this thread is a little old, but I just had an appointment with Dr. Javed and I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on how their procedures with him turned out. He seems lovely and very knowledgeable, but I have had bad luck in the past. And plus, I have to get my diastema done before I can start Invisalign - anyone have any experience in that?

Anonymous said...

Hello everyone.. can I ask were can I go dental clinic that is cheaper price.. im only maid here in kuwait

elvis bruslee said...

Hi every one try 180 clinic in salmiyah my kids are happey with there orthodontist (raesnobly priced)and there holywood smile is outstansing i will diffnetly recommend this clinic