Sunday, January 22, 2012

Rest in Peace, Saud Nasser Al-Sabah

"A Kuwaiti former oil minister and senior member of the Al-Sabah ruling family, Sheikh Saud Nasser al-Sabah (pictured in 1998), has died after a long battle with cancer, said the royal court. He was 68. (AFP Photo/Raed Qutena)"

I truly admired this man.  He worked tirelessly during the 90/91 Gulf War and was the catalyst behind the efforts to free Kuwait.  I met him many times in Washington and had the honor of seeing him in action.  I heard his speeches and felt the raw emotion in his voice as he talked about his country during the occupation.

Thank you, Sheikh Saud, for your part in bringing both Kuwaitis and their friends (like me) back to Kuwait. My thoughts are with his family.


3 comments:

Florentino Bagayaua III said...

I had the honour of serving and caring for the late Sheikh Saud Nasser Al-Sabah....... I am grateful for the chance of ever knowing the great man on a more personal level..... for two months, I saw and witnessed how this great man struggled and fought his last battle and still carried himself with dignity and honour.... as his personal nurse for the last 2 months of his life here in London, I've come to respect and love the great Saud.... he had shared some thoughts with me, given me some personal advices that I will forever remember with fondness and keep in my heart with much respect..... Thank you, Sir, for giving me the chance to know you...... Farewell, my Boss!! Rest in Peace, Sheikh Saud Nasser A Sabah!!! With much respect, Florentino Bagayaua III

Marahib said...

Thank you Desert Girl for your touching words as well as the comment from Florentino my dads nurse.

Desert Girl said...

I was really touched by Florentino's words. I also spoke to a lifelong Kuwaiti friend who had known Sheikh Saud and his sentiments were very similar.

Marahib, I have been praying for you and your family. No one is ever gone as long as people still remember and I hope your happy memories of your father will comfort you.

I am thinking of him most today on this first liberation Day without him. We wouldn't be here in Free Kuwait if he hadn't carried the sword for all of us and I deeply appreciate everything he did for this country.