Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Ask Me About a Fabulous Career in Bitching

You know what is messed up? I wear black almost every single day to work. I didn’t remember that today, a whole lot of people would be wearing black and I actually changed my norm by wearing other colors. I forgot that Shiites are observing Ashura. Everybody in my whole frickin office has been commenting on my colors today. I am, once again, a royal dumbass.

Why do I wear black every day to work? A) I love black 2) it is elegant and it incorporates ALL the colors C) it is mysterious; and of course 4) it is professional. You can dress it up; you can dress it down. Oh, and blondes look really good in black. Yes, they do.

One of my first jobs was in a designer clothing section at a large retail store chain. My supervisor was Mrs. Kathleen Stellock and I will never forget her. She wore black most of the time (simple black, navy, beige, brown are usually the norm with business attire – steer clear of flowery patterns and limit pastels) with wonderful accessories (good quality handbag, good quality shoes, modest jewelry that didn’t make any noise). She wore little make-up and her hair was always done modestly. She walked tall with a straight back. I wanted to engage her in personal conversations (so she would get to know me/like me better and think I was wonderfully interesting) and discuss what I did that weekend (probably while chewing gum with chipped nail polish on my fingers and a big 80’s hairstyle above whatever disco outfit was the trend back then.). She would respond with, “Mmm hmmm,” and walk away. I thought she was a total B. She turned out to be one of my very best female mentors and I never knew it at the time (she probably couldn’t stand me). She never came out and said, “Do this,” or “Do that,” but taught me subtly - just by performing her job with 100% professionalism; both through actions and through appearance.

I HATE working with flirty girly-girls; you know – the kind that giggle and wear inappropriate clothes and talk about personal stuff all day long. Leave me alone. Get out of my office. I have a rep and I live up to it. There are a LOT of these kinds of women (girls really) in this country. They are working so it looks good to a potential husband and his family. Then, after they get their degrees and have a little work experience, they leave to have babies and shout at khadamas. I believe that if you are at a job – you are ON the job. You work with professionalism and leave all the sillyness at home or at Starfucks. Or – do us all a favor and get married when you are 17 and stay out of this world entirely. It is, after all, your ultimate goal.

I had a very good Kuwaiti friend who wanted to get married years ago. He had specific requiremtents: she had to be tall; she had to be from a good family; and she had to have a university degree. I asked him if they would maybe work at the same place together. His response? “No! I don’t want my wife to WORK.” Ummmmmm. Chellloooooo….He got all that. She’s a wonderful person and I adore here, but you know what – after all that education, she is bored staying at home with the kids. Well, you know, someday when he divorces her for someone younger and more interesting (with a job and a life of her own), she’ll be able to use that degree again. Or hey – maybe just decide to travel the world on his money from the divorce.

I’m full of piss and vinegar today. I have my reasons.

2 comments:

Purgatory said...

I do not like black, I perfer colours because am a P-cock.

ananyah said...

piss and vinegar? hmm yah lets leave it at that lol

Black rocks, but after a while it gets a little depressing! In my younger days I used to wear dark colors ALL the time, then last yr my dad actually saw me in color for the 1st time in like erm YEARS. He was shocked, but liked it loool

I think if you dress professional, you have that aura about you