Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Welcome to Kuwait Orientation for Newcomers (aka "Newbies")



I just saw this on Life in Kuwait blog.  AWARE usually sends me info, but maybe they forgot me.  Sniffle, whimper.

AWARE holds a lot of activities for free (they are non-commercial and just out there to benefit people transitioning here!).  Their website is http://www.aware.com.kw/.  They're not going to try to get you to convert!  Stop being so skeptical, newbies.  OMG.  They're there to promote Kuwait and form a better understanding between cultures.

I think any orientation for incoming newbies is a great idea!  The transition is scary; especially now when you're hearing all the crazy stuff about ISIS so close up North.  EEEK, right?

By the by: One of the best orientations (the most welcoming) was basically a meet-and-greet at the British Embassy in 1997.  A woman in line in front of me was wearing an evening gown and I totally freaked when I thought I was under-dressed. (it was "business attire").   I sipped Pimms all night before realizing that it WASN'T iced tea.  That was fun.  I was literally a hot mess....

Way back in early 2000's (holy snap - I just realized that there is such a thing now!), I tried to promote a concept of an orientation package (including seminar/s follow-up, booklets) to Westerners arriving in Kuwait (catering to large companies like CSA/later ITT contract, basically) and it never got off the ground.  What I suggested was more of a commercial concept, targeting companies that hired a large employment force of Western expats.  Various Kuwait-based service organizations that cater to Western expats (banks, short and long term accommodations, lease car companies, satellite, etc.; and then follow-on with handy-men, drivers with cars, tours, etc.) would provide a commission to the "orientation" company to promote their services (and would be ranked by users).   At the same time, it would be of great benefit to incoming Westerners.  I didn't promote the idea very well and, of course, life gets in your way and  your full time job comes first to pay the bills, so nothing ever emerged.  It would have been outstanding in/around 2003 when the workforce for one company alone was what -  10,000...  But hey, KBOS3 is coming up for re-bid in 2015, so maybe some entrepreneur will step up to the plate with an entirely new crop of incoming Western expats.  Thar ya go.  Free concept.  (Nobody listens to me because I'm blonde.  I've accepted it and moved on...)

Howefah,  if someone wants to hire me as a consultant for these kinds of ideas (Sheikh Hamad, perhaps??), please contact me.  I got a million of 'em...  

For the moment, it is just me trying to help people through my weeeee little blog and disseminating information from the various groups/organizations that aim at assisting expats... like my friends at AWARE.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your web site. Your life style is liberated. I use to be friends with Andalucia Gypsy's and Flamenco, I was only 16 yrs. old they were like my family.

Sister alia