Sunday, February 17, 2013

A rolling stone gathers no moss

I haven't been posting for a while as I've been in a rut and just plain haven't felt like it.  Desert Guy and I are kaput.  There's no fixing it.  It is what it is.  That was last Thursday (not Valentines Day, thankfully). I don't stay still very long.  I don't like being pre-occupied with negative things (but God knows, I am), so I keep busy.

The day after the Massive Fight, The Romanian and I drove down to a restaurant in Zor Village where she believes the best sheesh tawook sandwiches are made.  I'm kindof... they're okay.  The area is really funky.  It is a forgotten village.  I guess O&G workers used to live down there.  Now it is kind of a shanty town that reminds me a lot of places in Mexico.  There are a few dive restaurants. We stayed in the car - there weren't any women in sight.



I don't think that DGy liked the fact that the very next night, I was out with friends.  Too bad.  I have a life. I'm not going to stay home to pine.  I went out to visit a friend's camp. It was something to do and I caught up with old friends that I haven't had the time to get together with lately.

The day after, I woke up to a phone call from another friend telling me to be ready to go to the desert in an hour - North this time.  An hour in Arab time is more like 3 hours.  So, 3 hours later, we were off to Khuwaisat.  To get there (the easiest way), you take 6th Ring Road North all the way past Jahra towards Subiya.

I had no idea where my friends were taking me.  All that I know is that my friend/friend's husband drives like a bat out of Hell and it tested my driving (or reckless driving) skills.

I have a Sheikh friend who used to have a chalet at Khuwaisat.  I drove around looking for it, but nothing is the same there anymore. (Like now, for example, the roads are paved.)   I wouldn't recognize it if I saw it (I probably wouldn't recognize him if I saw him - lotta years have passed.)  The area is gorgeous (from my perspective).  It hasn't been developed yet and there are low-lying areas where the tip of the Bay meets the land.  It doesn't look like anywhere else in Kuwait; although that's about to change.  It is being developed and fast.

We turned off the road and went through a bunch of trees et voila!  There were a group of about 20 cars in an area next to a small pond. Totally unexpected and lovely.  I saw friends that I hadn't seen in years.  It was such a nice surprise and like a gift, really.

[I also ran into one of the friends who knows Stealth and his group.  He tried (in vain) to convince me that our argument (back in November) was stupid and that I should get in contact with the group again.  Stealth was able to find my door for 2 and a half years.  Funny that he can't find it now - or back in November when we could have talked and maybe worked things out.  It's the same door.  Its in the same place.]


While we were all sitting there next to the pond, a group of guys rode up on horses (totally surreal).  They had a foal with them.  They stopped and let people ride the horses and take pictures.  I made new friends.


It's not that I'm weepy and upset about the break-up with Desert Guy, but it is never good to see anything end.  And it wasn't in a warm-and-fuzzy kind of way.  I just haven't wanted to think about it.   Anyhooser....  The Romanian wanted to say goodbye to the dogs and pick up her stuff (she broke up with her guy around the same time too for different, yet similar reasons; "I'm right and you're wrong and I don't want to hear what you have to say.  That's it"  Okey dokey.  Also known as "cutting off your nose to spite your face.").  We went to the camp when no one was there to say goodbye without saying goodbye.



So this weekend....   Forget Valentines Day.  That was just sucky.  Although my BFF, The Romanian, had flowers (and the NICEST card I have had in such a long time) waiting for me on my counter when I got home.  It was so nice of her.


The next day, I got another surprise invite (little blessings) from an OLD friend to have lunch on his yacht.  It is the largest of 3 that he owns.  He and his crazy brothers have been my friends since 1997.  I adore them all.  We fall in and out of touch, but when we finally get back together as a group, like we did this weekend, it is lots of fun.  We took the boat out to the middle of the bay and had lunch - which turned into dinner.  The sunset on the water was gorgeous.  I can't remember the last time I have laughed so hard.  Oh yeah - it was with my sisters in DC...


From there, back to another friend's desert camp in Julai'a.  He is just always happy to see me and he's just full of life and positive energy; rare.  We sat around with him and his girlfriend (and her trashy friends) for a while and then to McDonalds near Desert Guy's camp because we were close - maybe hoping to run into them -  and back home again.  I think being out on the water just made me completely sleepy.

Yesterday, we went back up North again to visit the horses.  Unfortunately, the weather was crap (dusty) and we weren't able to ride.  They take the horses to the beach on warm days to cool them off in the water.  We were planning to do that, but it was too bad outside.

Then we went to eat sushi. Then we went home.

Dudes have been tracking my (/our - The Romanian and I) whereabouts via Instagram and Facebook.  Fascinating.  I don't care, really.  It is all very childish.  If we post one photo of us having fun somewhere, they counteract with 20 photos of them (doing the same old shyt of lounging with refreshments around a campfire or barbecuing - BFD).  I miss the camp.  I miss the circle of friends.  Sometimes you just got to keep rolling.


No comments: