Monday, September 17, 2007

Things That Make Ya Go.... WTF!

Ok, there are a lot of things that irk me, but these are some random irkdoms. And I haven’t even been back from vacation that long. This is a bad sign.

People who come to my door asking for handouts. I am actually very happy to help people because my philosophy is that you never know where angels may appear and I never want to intentionally turn away. However; there are several issues I have with people who do this and their approach. 1) Beggars: Clearly state your case. There is a woman from Sri Lanka who has shown up on my doorstep a total of EIGHT times asking for my help. I ask her, ‘How can I help you? Money? Assistance?’ She mumbles. She rambles. She tells me a story in a language that I just don’t understand. Each time, she goes away and I have absolutely no clue what she wants me to do. And she keeps coming back! 2) Manners! If I give someone money, don’t you think that they should at least say “Please” and “Thank you”? I mean – WTF! Am I “International Bank of Desert Girl” or what? Is this some kind of entitlement thing that they think they just deserve it so don’t even have to look me in the eye? I’m not a freakin ATM. I’m huuuuuuuman!

Stop ringing my damn doorbell at 8 am on weekends!!! I don't drink Pepsi!!!!

Those nasty kids who scream outside all night. I am sure they are lovely little urchins, but I lie in bed at night dreaming of their demises. IF even one of them should get close to range, I am so going to water-balloon them. (I haven’t seen a decent potato gun online in a long time.) Don’t these imps have parents? Where are the perves and kidnappers when you need them? Are they all in Hawalli? (Ok, that was totally mean and uncalled for – most especially during Ramadan. I’m going to Hell. Let’s proceed…)

My neighbors who slam their door. Again, I have morbid delusions. Why can’t they just shut the door nicely? Does anybody know who I can call to have one of those sound-proof doors made; you know – the ones you find in all the phuck flats around Kuwait? (Not that I’ve ever been in one, right?) You find those kinds of doors when you go to gaadat and they have them so no one can hear from outside. The best one I’ve ever seen was at an apartment in Rihab complex that was like a vault door with carpeting on one side and that was about 4 inches thick. (I think they were some parliament guys or something and could afford a FF with an awesome soundproofed door.) I need that kind of door or I may have to do bodily harm to my neighbors.

I am trying to be a nicer person. Really. I am.

Dumpster in the middle of my street. Again, a “WTF” moment…. The building at the end of my street was completed recently. Tenants have moved in. It is pretty. However, I guess the building management still believes that it is under construction because they have left the enormous metal trash thingy in the middle of the street. WHYYYY? I feel like I’m living in Amghara.

The delivery guys from ARAMEX. Dudes, me customer, you delivery dudes. It isn’t all about YOUR schedule. These guys don’t seem to realize that many people like me actually have full time jobs and spend very little time at home. I don’t have a khadama full time. I don’t want one. What I want is my damn clothes from Spiegel online delivered. Can’t they just call first? And, why is it that most of their delivery guys feel it necessary to write stuff on my walls outside my apartment (like graffiti for delivery guys – noting in their own personalized way that they have been there)? I had this problem previously with Pizza Hut. Why do they do that? Is it like a dog peeing on his territory? Again, am I living in Amghara?

The pump for the Big Hole next to my building. ONE year ago, after the Big Dig for the Big Hole that is to be a new apartment building next to my window, they installed a pump (to suck out the water that might be under the hole?) with the promise that they would remove it in 30 days. I was there when 4 Indian guys appeared to install the thing -- right NEXT to my car. Since then, it has been ca-chunking along all day and all night. It has broken down several times - spewing a combination of motor oil and some kind of smelly fuel - which ended up in a stream that ran under my car and down my street (yes, the one with the garbage container in the middle of it). My building hariss didn't seem to believe that it was a big deal that fumes may have caused a chain-reaction explosion (of vehicles - starting with mine and continuing around the block). No one has seemed to minded that the RIVER of oil has been left on the ground for 5 months now. Everything in my apartment is white. I have to be extra careful not to step in the muck. Why don't they clean it up??? Why don't they take the phucking pump thingy away? Who do I call? Nobody cares.

Otay, that’s enough bitching for today (maybe not, but I’ll do the rest later at sushi with The Romanian).

Slapperella gets home tonight from Ethiopia. Yippeeeeeee! I wonder if she got married… hmmm. Interesting.

Maybe with both of my best friends around, I won’t find it necessary to bitch as much. Yeah, right. Bitch bitch bitch shop shop bitch shop bitch bitch bitch eat sushi (at which point, everything is okay in the world for a while).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where do you live! Vietnam!! That's too much , try to relax down a bit though.. these annoying stuff o people aren't effected as much as you are :)

Desert Girl said...

Viet-Salmiya-airobi

Anonymous said...

Hi, I've come across your post over and over but read it for the first time tonight.

Strangely enough I live in Mangaf since 3 weeks, been in Kuwait since 2 months. I live near the Fahaheel club and guess what? You got it, we have the same type of pump in front of our otherwise state of the art building. I am very observant so I tend to notice big thing like that.

What I wonder is why are the police and law on one hand so strict but on the other hand so well lame.

I continue to be amazed about what I see and learn here in Kuwait. I recently noticed that people actually part their car in a traffic circle!!

I notice the Bluetooth dating or hooking up some weeks ago as some girls tried to locate my cell phone each time I walked by....I was flattered especially since they were as I call it "Hooded" no disrespect intended.

Good night DG

Lg Kevin In Mangaf

Lost In Kuwait said...

Hi, I've come across your post over and over but read it for the first time tonight.

Strangely enough I live in Mangaf since 3 weeks, been in Kuwait since 2 months. I live near the Fahaheel club and guess what? You got it, we have the same type of pump in front of our otherwise state of the art building. I am very observant so I tend to notice big thing like that.

What I wonder is why are the police and law on one hand so strict but on the other hand so well lame.

I continue to be amazed about what I see and learn here in Kuwait. I recently noticed that people actually part their car in a traffic circle!!

I notice the Bluetooth dating or hooking up some weeks ago as some girls tried to locate my cell phone each time I walked by....I was flattered especially since they were as I call it "Hooded" no disrespect intended.

Good night DG

Lg Kevin In Mangaf

Desert Girl said...

Dear Kevin. Lets just say that a lot of what you see, hear, experience will leave you wondering why. Why is it that some things are so down right "important" and other things like health, the environment, education, humane treatment of labor aren't. Go figure. I don't know if you have had the "opportunity" to visit a ministry yet. Or perhaps the place where you get your chest x-rayed for your visa. You are in for an interesting ride, my friend!

On the other hand, I love Kuwait with all the foibles, so who am I to talk?

Hooded = "wearing hejab" or "mahajaba (Muhajabat - plural)" in Arabic.

Thanks for commenting. :)

Bravecat said...

Haha girl I think you have to move somewhere else :)