Friday, August 24, 2007

I Saw A Bear

I went to Skyline Drive in Shenandoah in Virginia with my mother. It is about 100 miles of road around and on the top of a mountain range that is all inside of a national park. It is only a 2 hour drive from DC.

I saw a lot of deer - which isn't that remarkable really since we feed the deer outside our house every night at 5:00. This year, there is a very large family of deer including a 4-point buck and 2 spotted babies. Anyhoo (back to our story), I really wanted to see a bear while we were there in the mountains and today I did: He was a pretty big black bear with the cutest ears. He walked/lumbered across the road right in front of the car. I stopped (stupid tourists) and he looked at me from the side of the road, seated in a bunch of tall ferns and weeds. He was pudgy in a kind of Winney The Pooh way, with fluffy ears. It was so cool. It is one thing to see them in a zoo, but when you are up close and they are wild and not pacing back and forth in some enclosure - it is really something else.

I'm going to my sisters beach house in Ocean City tomorrow for more crabs and just hanging out. There is usually way too much wine consumption and lots of laughs, even though I hate the drive over there through traffic.

The Romanian is in Romania for a while with capilu and her sister visiting her mom. Poor Slapperella is alone to fend for herself and I am worried about her mental health. I'll be back soon! Hang in there, girl! We'll go to Dubai and everything will be ok in the world again. I promise! Next year, you can come here with me and we can drink French martinis and look at bears and wild horses together. It will be okay!

4 comments:

Purgatory said...

It is interesting how your posts do not include chasing men when you are abroad compared to your posts in Kuwait.

Desert Girl said...

There is nothing to BE CHASED BY here.

Bravecat said...

Yup, some serious partying in Dubai will definitely help :^)

Purgatory said...

I think you turn your signals off when you are there and turn them on here for the chase ;p