Thursday, May 17, 2007

FoodDude Phucked Up My Mood!

Problems exist with pest control everywhere. Establishments just need to control the situation so that customers can rest assured that the food is hygienic. Complaints about service are one thing, but no one wants to take chances when it comes to their health.

Something is being done about the situation at the hotel and they have tried to make amends, so I feel more comfortable that yes – something is being done to correct the problem. They have a lovely new F&B Manager who spoke to me at length about their plans. They have had meetings and created action plans and schedules – which is all I really wanted to know. I have still eaten at their restaurants since the incident - I just haven't ordered anything from that one particular kitchen until I feel comfortable.

I discovered that I have known the inspector for the area all along. I wouldn't say FoodDude is a friend (and he certainly isn’t after the amount of insults he hurled at me when I saw him last night in "I am zee man" after five years – dude phucked up my mood) -- only an acquaintance. He was concerned that the blog would get him in trouble because it may imply that he wasn't doing his job. Well, if the shoe fits.... In my 10 years of visiting the place, I have never personally seen him there.

I am under the impression that he was there because I sent him an SMS and an e-mail detailing the story. He called me while I was there and he said he was coming over. When he arrived, he sat at a table closeby and asked ME to go sit with him to discuss it. Uh, no. I was enjoying my meal with a friend. He eventually came over and talked to me about it.

FoodDude wasn't very interested in checking the conditions of the kitchen (only relaying to us how we can get into the health club for free after 12 am when none of the security is looking. Thanks, but I would rather pay full price for a membership.). He wanted to inspect the kitchen while it was open and all the lights were on/all the people were there. (Which of course is the worst possible time to spot any nocturnal creature.) I told him to go back to the kitchen with a flashlight an hour after closing time. One would think that a food inspector may have known this. He spoke to the manager at the restaurant (who has nothing at all to do with the situation) and smoked sheesha for several hours.

FoodDude wanted me to take the post down about the hotel. I have taken it down – not to appease someone who is worried about the impression of not properly doing a job – but because things have been done by the management to resolve the problem (without the assistance of the local authorities) and to make their customer feel secure.

FoodDude further warned me that the establishment in question is an international chain and implied that I would get in trouble. (He hasn’t seen this blog – only heard of it.) Well hey, the truth is the truth and blogs like this are how things are publicized: Welcome to the world of technology. In fact, Kuwait is on a voyage of improvement (with a good captain and crew). More people are going to have to get off their butts and do their jobs as it all becomes more transparent.

And why does it have to be a negative thing? It isn't all about fines and punishment: It should be about Government cooperation with local businesses (ok, ideally, but yes - it could happen here too). Can authorities who conduct food inspections work hand-in-hand with restaurants in resolving problems that occur? Can they/do they provide advice and assistance so that local establishments serve food properly? If the food inspectors need training, train them.

The website for the Kuwait Municipality (which handles food inspections in the various areas of Kuwait) does not have a function key for English translation. The site appears to contain all kinds of exciting information – only I can’t read it. A large portion of the population in Kuwait is English-speaking. Almost everything here is bi-lingual. Why not allow for that functionality on local government websites, so that consumers can gain access to information for complaints?

3 comments:

Purgatory said...

Everyone you know has a name, what nickname do you have fo rme?

Desert Girl said...

You already had a nickname when I met you. I mix it up a little because, of course, YOU'RE PURGALISCIOUS! :)

Purgatory said...

I see, so am candy?