Sunday, January 15, 2006

Goodbye, Dear Friend

I am deeply saddened by the passing of Sheikh Jaber Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah.

I have been depressed - as many of my Kuwaiti friends are today. He has been around for most of my life - both here and when I was in the States. He was brought into my circle of people I care about by Kuwaiti friends who spoke fondly and compassionately of him throughout the years. "If I love you, I love those you love." We carried his picture during the Gulf War. We watched him on TV. We passed along tidbits of information about him and his life from diwaniya through the phone and back again.

Like an aging member of the family, everybody expected him to pass away, but now that it has happened, it is still a shock.

2 comments:

Desert Girl said...

Talisman, I guess your family didn't raise you well enough - or perhaps you are still a young child and don't remember what your Emir did for your country. That's sad. Learn your history. Either that or you are just pretending to be Kuwaiti.

Jewaira said...

Amerab
You're a dear friend to Kuwait and to many Kuwaitis. I hope you are doing well.

We have all been sad this past week because Sheikh Jaber's passing was like losing a bit of our past too.

Allah Yer7omah.