Thursday, March 09, 2023

Ku-Waiting for News and Voice of Kuwait - Occupation Time (1990-91) Newsletters from the US





When I moved to Kuwait in October of 1996, to start the “real adventures”, I stored most of my remaining belongings in my sister's basement.  She has just done a Spring cleaning and asked me to go over and see if I wanted anything that was still there.  I found a box of books and documents from the Gulf War (you know - the first one - in 1990 and 91).


I'm so happy to have found these newsletters!  It was a very sad time, but as I re-read these, my faith in humanity is reaffirmed once again.  When disaster strikes, people help each other. 


Some were compiled by American wives of Kuwaitis (Ku-Waiting for News) and the Kuwaiti Student's Union (Voice of Kuwait).

 

Back then (90/91), we didn't have e-mail or the internet (shocking, right?) so all these newsletters were hard-copied and mailed to people on their mailing lists; and copies of copies were made and distributed. As you can see in the photos, it looks like the newsletters were hand-typed. Microsoft Word wasn't even around then and most people couldn't afford a computer.)

 

Once received, most of us would make copies and distribute to anyone we thought might be able to help liberate Kuwait (like Congress or the Senate, etc.). I find them super interesting because they gave first-hand accounts/perspectives of what was happening at that time; full of all the raw emotion that everyone was feeling.

 

You may recognize some of the names. I never met most of these people in person, but we kept in communication often to keep the news flowing (I love you all and God bless you for everything you did and the endless support you provided!).

 

I ran a not-for-profit called, Kuwait Link, at that time to connect people and resources and disseminate information.  I had a 214/7 “help line” (a phone next to my bed!).  I connected TV and newspaper news outlets to Kuwaitis for stories; like Um Salah who watched in February, 1991, as her sons, Jamal and Salah met on the street in Kuwait.   (I met Um Salah Dashti, mother of former MP and friend, Rula Dashti, while they were in DC during the Occupation.) Anyways, one son studied in the US at the time and joined the US military to liberate Kuwait; and the other son was in Kuwait through the entire occupation and worked with The Resistance.  (I can’t remember which son was where.  It’s been a long time.)  Anyways, Um Salah watched on live television as the sons reunited, hugging each other in the street; one not knowing if the other was even still alive. Often, I would receive calls late at night (after the Kuwait Embassy in DC was closed) from people ask for help to find their friends inside Kuwait.  I would sometimes refer them to a nameless expat man who had a HAM radio (amateur radio) that operated secretly inside Kuwait and he would try to find Kuwaitis and get messages and information to them.  He literally risked his life to help people.  Had the Iraqis caught him, he would likely have been taken to Iraq and then, God knows what would have happened to him.  Or the time after the liberation when I received an onslaught of calls from concerned people asking if they could help the starving animals in the Kuwait Zoo. 

 

Um Salah volunteered with me and a group of Kuwaiti women who trained at the Red Cross and with the US Marines at Quantico.  Her shells hit my head on the firing line as we shot our M-16’s at the targets.  25 Kuwaiti women joined the US forces with the honorary rank of Sargant to volunteer as translators in the liberation of Kuwait.  There is NOTHING in the history books about them and probably never will be.  They rode with seasoned soldiers and slept in mud.  The often had to beg their parents to go, but they did and I’ve never met a better group of determined women in my life.  Some of whom you would never in a million years guess wore combat boots!  Mothers and grandmothers in diamonds and couture.  Women of pure determination and strength.

 

And I want to say something about the amount of online hatred I’ve come across from mostly young people who say things like, “Go back to your country.” Or “America only helped liberate Kuwait for oil and money.”  The expat people (from the US and the other 35 nations that formed the Allied Coalition Forces) I personally knew during that time SACRIFICED for Kuwait.  Americans VOLUNTEERED to go to fight for Kuwait.  People risked their lives.  So, I take it personally when people say these things. And if you are here to do that – please just go away.  God watches us all and you may find yourself in need of human compassion someday.

 

The newsletters copy is a large file in .pdf (about 9MB and 106 pages long), but if you would like me to email it to you, drop me a DM with your email address and I'll get it to you.

3 comments:

MoonRover said...

Hi Deseret Girl in Kuwait;
I came across your blog when I was googling for loans in Kuwait. You had a post on it in 2007 :)
Do you have an updated list of the companies that don't need guarantors for expats.

nibs said...

God Bless you, for what you have done, for your time during the 90 Gulf War.
I have been an avid reader of your blog for server years.

Stay Safe and God Bless

Curator said...

Hey Deseret Girl in Kuwait,
I was just looking at some blog in Kuwait which provided useful and interesting information related to kuwait. Luckily I was directed to your blog. I am really amazed to see your blog.

I don't know who you are but I am so glad that I came across your blog. It's a world of knowledge and History, almost 20 years. I have only read the latest and the only article your wrote in 2023.Planning to go for a binge read in coming days.

I read that you were moved to Kuwait in 96. I don't know what Kuwait was then and what is the difference now. From my perspective Kuwait is a Wealthy GCC Nation who currently holds the highest currency exchange value in the world. As I am currency note and coin collector myself, the only thing I have with myself which relates to Kuwait is few coins that were minted between lat 5 or 6 years and few currency notes of diff denominations printed within last 10 years.

Really glad to have stumbled upon Desert Girl Kuwait.

~ <3 From India