Saturday, March 25, 2006

And there are many more to come…

The cards are starting to fall. Gotta love justice. For years, just about everybody in the contracting business (for the US Military) working in Kuwait has been either giving or receiving kickbacks; gifts, priviledges, etc. Now, there are all kinds of US Government auditing agencies in Kuwait to clean up the mess of the past 5 years (at US taxpayer expense). The Army Audit Agency (AAA), Defense Contract Audit Agency (DCAA), General Accounting Office (GAO), and Department of Army Inspector General (DAIG) are all in Kuwait auditing both the military and private contractors providing services under military contracts. You go, boyz and girlz! Clean em up! I hope they go after a particular 800 pound gorilla to the north of the city.

Check out these articles. There will be a lot more to follow: http://www.qctimes.net/articles/2006/03/24/news/local/doc44239587570ac687479388.txt and http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/2A551058-3568-4809-9134-9C78934B5E2B.htm. I interviewed with Mr. Khan in 2002. Arrogant little phuck.

What is happening is that these US agencies are aware of the individuals who have been paying people off; cases are being built in conjunction with the Kuwaiti (and other) government; when the individuals go to the US, they are picked up off the planes and taken to court. It is easier for the US to do it that way than to actually arrest people in the region. In other words, a short trip to the US for vacation can turn into a long, extended trip with a hairy guy making you his prison bitch.

All this corruption is disgusting. Seemingly, the only way for contractors to win here is to pay people off. If you are honest, you have been left in the dust. I have never condoned illegal practices nor have I had anything to do with it; however, I know many people here who have. Maybe the audits/arrests/imprisonments will make some changes.

One of my Kuwaiti friends came to me in 2003 and said, "I want to open a transport (trucking) company. What do you think?" My response, "Do you have a chalet, some hookers and some booze?" He (a somewhat religious guy) was shocked. I told him to be ready for reality.

Just yesterday, I was approached by a Kuwaiti friend who wanted me to "help him" get contracts with the military. He said, "Don't worry, we will give them whatever money they want for their commission." I told him I didn't even want to discuss it and that I would have no part of anything illegal. This mentality still prevails!

The problem is that most local companies (big and small) don't know how to deal with the military (the legitimate way); can't write the proposals or even fill in the forms. Many can't navigate the websites to find out what bids are out there. If you are having trouble, hire me. J amerab@gmail.com. Nothing illegal here.

What I personally have found from many of these companies is that they want you to provide a service, but then make you an offer to become a "partner". That translates to: you do all the work and we kick you out when you're done (also known as "partner" = phuck you.) Aint gonna happen. Unless your name is on a sign (and partership contract), you aren't a partner. We get paid a fee for a service. Very simple.

3 comments:

Entrepreneur said...

Nice post

Not sure why nobody commented

The entire situation in handling contracts for the Iraqi saga stinks.

I know ppl who robbed ppl blind and made a fortune.

I hope they can sleep well at night.

Desert Girl said...

Thank you, Entrepreneur.

The robber people you know should beware when trying to travel to the US. Customs has lists of names of people coming off particular flights. They arrest them at the airport and then take them to stand trial for fraud. It will catch up to them eventually.

Of course they sleep well at night. Those of us with a conscience are the only ones who wonder how people like that can sleep.

J said...

Nicely put, your previous comment. Naught is fair in any case, and the statement of The survival of the fittest should, I sometimes think, be changed to The survival of the spineless.... The detached grope ahead.

That sounds a little more pessimistic than I intended... but you know what I mean...