Monday, October 31, 2005

Hot Blogger Guy - Is that You?

"Strangers are family you are yet to come to know."

The other day, a gorgeous Kuwaiti guy in a hot sports car allowed me into traffic. I thought, ‘Wow. What a nice guy.’ So, I did my normal thing and waved ‘thank you’. He was handsome and seemed a little on the serious side and I couldn’t help looking in my rear-view mirror at him. Yummy. I sped off to Kuwait Friendly House to do some trans-actin', and thought nothing more about it until I get an e-mail from a fellow blogger saying that it was him (he knows my car). What a shocker that was. You can never be too nice to people because you never know who they are going to be (except for the buttface who continually cut me off in his brown 745i this morning and then slammed on his brakes. He can go to Hell.)

Another day, I was down in Hawalli (which really has not-too-much-to-do with the paragraph above) and a Kuwaiti guy in a 4x stopped to let me into the traffic circle. I waved ‘thank you’ and he waved back frantically with both hands. Now, dude could have been mimicking me (and most likely was; a blonde thing, perhaps?), but it sent me into a giggle fit and I thought it was really cute. A little queer-looking for a big man to do, but funny.

Hot Blogger Guy reminded me that most women in Kuwait don’t wave ‘thank you’ in traffic because they think they are going to be hit on by male motorists; which, I’ve got to agree, is generally true. If you wave (or sneeze, or adjust your mirror, or pick your nose), it is almost like an invitation for them to come follow you. But I figure – I don’t give a schmidt because I am nice and I am going to stay that way no matter where I am. I always wave ‘thank you’. Ladies, what are your thoughts?

I’m off to Bahrain this weekend with the Romanian for a weekend of alcohol, dancing, and men of little virtue (not that there isn't plenty of all that here at home). I can’t wait. I should have more to write about when I get back. I haven’t been to Bahrain in years, since most of my Bahraini gang split up, moved on, or got married. I still can't believe my 38 year old, crazy F-16 pilot friend married an 18 year old. Dude! The only one left is a very nice body-builder type who took too many steroids and had one too many plush toys in his apartment. Hopefully, he got rid of the toys and off of the roids. If not, I can always flirt with Saudis (always good for instant ego boosting - especially when they just stand there staring at you with their mouths open).

Eid mubarak, y’all.

15 comments:

Nooni said...

thank you dear:) enjoy your trip, i have to say that you must be an attractive women in a crazy car thats why they hit on you because i do million of stuff while driving and rarely some one hits on me :)

cheerz.

2 Second Club ® said...

It's good to see you back here writing.. I am sure that guy was thinking the same of you after you waved thank you to him..

I have never seen a woman wave thank you to me before in Kuwait..

go have fun in Bahrain, and tell us all about it.. :)

Delicately Realistic said...

I ALWAYS wave thank you. Its a rule. Even when someone lets me cross the street. If someone wants to hit on me let them, I just have to do my part and be polite.

Unknown said...

I always wave thanks or nod, and they never hit on me. I have got a few sweet looks from women when I let them out though :)

I bet DG is a hottie too. She's blonde she said. You can't go wrong with a blonde. ;)

Have fun in Bahrain. Drink a couple shots for me please :( My little excursion was dead ended because of a passport issue.

Evil Knievel said...

Being nice in traffic is important! :) Helps to calm everyone down a little after been stuck on gulf road for hours ... :P

I should probably also wave a little more to draw some more attention on me and my little sports car ... :P

U.E. said...

I used to always wave and smile. Now it's fifty/fifty. Too many experiences with someone thinking I must have been flirting and inviting attention so, therefor, it's perfectly appropriate to follow me for the next fifty kilometers making kissy faces and asking for my phone number.

So now I only wave and smile if I am flirting and inviting attention! ;-D

Stinni said...

I wave to say thank you but quickly look away. I get pissed when other people don't wave. I usually let out a "your welcome, asshole" when that happens. No wonder my son has a potty mouth.

P.S. Your entry cracked me up. Keep 'em coming.

Mark said...

what is your car?

Desert Girl said...

You guys crack ME up. What the HELL are are you people doing awake so late/early? Don't you have jobs? :)

Stinni, I swear to God - you are so much like me! I always say that. I mean, at least they could smile, right?

Don - I wish the guy had given me his number if that were the case.

In my opinion, if you are nice, you wave. I mean, if somebody (unwelcomed) wants to try to hit on you after that - then I just ignore them (unless it was the guy mentioned in my post and that's a completely different issue). Bada bing.

Bravecat said...

Now that's funny :) In Qatar people rarely let you cut in front of them.. Traffic is horrendous lately. Also, you don't even have to wave for them to follow you! You DO get followed for miles and miles on daily basis if you are driving and you are
1)a girl who is either
2)not veiled
3)Western
4)blonde
5)driving a cabrio
5)talking on the mobile while driving (that one cracks me up as I could never figure out why)
6)looking around as well as ahead.

All that said, I still wave if someone (by mistake or otherwise caught by surprise at my boldness) happens to let me jump in in ahead of him/her. Men would usually either smile and roll their eyes. Women would normally scowl and throw a gesture or two my way, then look around for sympathetic motorists who would either smile and roll their eyes or scowl and join in the gesture throwing. All in all, quite amusing.

=^..^=

أبو جيج يدور نعاله said...

Happy Eid to you too

Mad M2000 مــادم الكويت said...

Have a great time




My verification word was ( InEeDaLcOhOl )

Mahmood Al-Yousif said...

I hope I'm back in Bahrain when you get here.. if you do give me a call and we'll do lunch!

enjoy your partaaying in any case ;)

Desert Girl said...

QatarCat - most people here don't let you cut in either. It is an inching race to see who can get closer to the other. Your comment was really funny. I want to go to Qatar sometime. Was there only once on a stop-over.

Bo Jaij and Nazif - Eid mubarak to you and your families as well.

Mad M2000 - It is NICE to see your name once in a while, my friend. :)I hope things are good in your world.

Mahmoud - I might just do that if I'm not too inebriated!

Grandma - I'm scared of you, girl! What would really happen if we came across each other in traffic?

P.I.M.P. You've got a little 'tude going, don't cha? Do I detect a little inferiority complex? The 2nd guy wasn't Egyptian (did you read the post?)and he was driving an ok car (regardless of the car or the nationality - he was nice). If you actually read my blog, you would know that I'm not 1/2 American and 1/2 Kuwaiti. Dude, focus. God bless you and have a nice day.

Bravecat said...

Amerab,

You are most welcome, Qatar is beautiful, and in 3 years that I've been living here it's changed quite a lot what with all the construction and development going on. Definitely worth a visit, and you could also check out our motorists!

=^..^=